Each year, the Auburn Hills Chamber of Commerce hosts what is certainly one of my favorite events, Silver & Gold Awards. This year’s event was held last week at Royal Park Hotel in Rochester with a gathering of 360 people. Awards are generally sponsored by a business, and criteria is established for each award with nominations accepted for each award. Sometimes an award has a few nominees, while others may have several. This year’s Consumers Energy Cares Award had several nominees, and the winner was our very own Councilmember Cheryl Verbeke. Cheryl’s extensive volunteerism made her a clear choice for this award. The activities in which she is involved and is giving to others, are numerous. Here are just some of them.
- Tireless volunteer in Oxford Public Schools, including Chairperson of their Blessings in a Backpack Program
- Continues to provide support to families impacted by the tragic event at Oxford High School
- Years of being a foster parent, having adopted her own children
- Third-term elected City Councilmember
- Plans the annual Boys & Girls Club Steak and Burger event
- Volunteers to present the annual Auburn Hills Beautification Awards
- Delivers meals to homebound seniors through the Auburn Hills Senior Services Department
It is Cheryl’s resilience, energy, compassion, and commitment in all she does, that makes her a role model and is the reason she was recognized last week as an individual that continuously demonstrates a commitment to helping others in the community, the basis for which the Consumers Energy Cares Award is given. Congratulations Councilmember Verbeke!
Tom Tanghe, City Manager